Sunday 3 October 2010

Yorkshire birding

First morning out in the old county (26 Sept) heralded a stonking passage of Sooty Shears going north past Flaming Bog Horror in a big northwesterly. I counted 151 in 2 hours, plus c25 Manx, 2 Velvet Scoters, 2 Red-necked Grebes, 2 Bonxies, etc. RS later saw a Long-tailed Skua and a Balearic Shear, but I had to scarper home. We did manage a quick romp down to the Old Fall where we mused over the lack of the Eastern olly, enjoying a Redstart instead.

Today, in the pouring rain I checked out a Goldie flock near Naburn, but they had cleared off. Yesterday the same area held a male Peregrine and c50 Goldies. c20 Tree Sparrows and 50 Chaffinches were in a stubble field near Moreby. This field will be worth keeping an eye on. RS tells me that Bank Island has water now, so here we go for the winter LDV action.

Everybody here in the north has been very welcoming!

And I must mention my sis who finally got wed on Friday. Congratulations to her and her hubbie!

My last day in Norfolk (17 Sept) was memorable for skiving my last day at work (that showed 'em!) and birding Winterton with Reg - a fine Red-backed Shrike was near Gemma's house, a corking, close-in juv Pomarine Skua, and a few Lap Bunts flitting about on the beach, plus an enjoyable bacon buttie courtesy of Reg, who I will miss.

No comments: