Monday 8 July 2013

Butterflies at Fen Bog

A lovely visit to Fen Bog revealed lots of Large Heaths and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries plus a surprise in the form of a Keeled Skimmer. Also seen, Golden-ringed Dragonfly, Whinchats and lots of cool plants including Arctic Starflower, Heath Spotted Orchid and flowering Cranberry. More on my other blog



Yesterday, went up to Saltholme to look for the wandering Northumberland Bridled Tern, but sadly it went back north before I got there. Having Sol with me, I was in proper birding Dad mode, and we had ice creams a play in the playground and checked out the alpacas (!). I did manage to pick out a rather cracking Roseate Tern flying over the playground which was then picked up on the islands out the front of the centre. Probably the best bird I have had over a playground! The Bridled Tern rocked up back in N'land a few hours later. Git!

No comments: