Tuesday 17 September 2019

Get Lucky!


Sometimes you get lucky. Tonight was one example. I headed down to Wheldrake after tea for an hour and found that I had the site to myself...or so I thought. Two Greenshanks were showing on the Pool along with a few Moorhens but it seemed pretty quiet. After a stressful day at work, I welcomed the solitude, and enjoyed watching the Greenshanks feeding in the shallows. Then Craig walked in and told me he had just found two Spotted Crakes on the flash in front of Swantail Hide! He had some amazing shots on his DSLR. We headed round there and after a few minutes, one of the tiny little spotty dudes appeared, creeping along the edge of the water, flicking its pointy tail and showing off its buffy undertail. What a corker and the first I have ever seen at Wheldrake Ings, having heard several spring birds 'whipping' over the years. Spot Crake at Wheldrake. Fantastic!


This amazing flight shot was taken a couple of days later by Hugo Charlton-Jones - awesome!


No comments: