Saturday 28 March 2020

Hasta luego Wheldrake

Another beautiful evening walk at Wheldrake Ings. We are 'social distancing' now and this is the best place for it; I had the place to myself.

At least 195 Black-tailed Godwits were still on the refuge busy feeding, 'wickering' away noisily as they fed in small groups. Many are looking stunning in brick red colours, whilst some still sport silver and white winter finery. They will feed up and head north soon.

I felt a rising melancholy as I absorbed the atmosphere of early spring on the ings. I am not sure when I will be able to return, due to the imminent lockdown as a response to the Coronavirus pandemic sweeping the world.


An hour or so after I returned, our Government announced we are now in lockdown. No more Wheldrake Ings for at least three weeks, most likely more. Stay at home and stay safe folks.

No comments: