Sunday 18 April 2021

Dejection under blue skies

Two mornings looking for rare waders in the LDV left me feeling a little dejected, as Friday's Lesser Yellowlegs failed to reappear, although I did enjoy my morning with old mate Philip yesterday.

Two circuits of the LDV revealed an unexpected Short-eared Owl this morning at Aughton, with a single Whimbrel with 28 loafing Curlews on the refuge at Wheldrake on Saturday morning, Greenshank again at North Duffield Carrs, up to eight Dunlins and two Ruffs there yesterday too, my first Yellow Wagtails and Whitethroats of the spring and a pair of Little Ringed Plovers and Grey Partridges on Church Ings, Acaster. 

A single Whimbrel, fifth bird from the right.
 

I failed to find any Ring Ouzels or Redstarts around the Acaster - Bolton Percy area this morning or this afternoon, despite a male Redstart being seen on the airfield this morning! A Great Egret made a statuesque appearance on Swantail this morning and I enjoyed watching Corn Buntings and Lapwings in the bare plough, though I still felt rather dejected under the bluest of spring skies. Dip-ressed clearly!

At the river, I counted over 100 Tansy Beetles in several patches between the first two stiles south of the Naburn swingbridge, my highest ever count. 

Lapwing and Corn Bunting, in migrant-less fields, near East Cottingwith.



 


No comments: