Sunday 26 March 2023

More Helpings of Melba

This morning, I checked out Castle Howard on the way up to the forest. 92 Tufted Ducks was a good count, but apart from the long-staying wing-damaged drake Ferruginous Duck, nothing interesting was among them. Six Teal, several Mandarins and a few grebes were the only other birds on the water. Plenty of birds were singing, despite the cold northeasterly, with Marsh Tits, Chiffchaffs and Mistle Thrushes braving the chilly air.

I headed east, via Scarborough Mere, to have a look for the Alpine Swifts that had been hanging out round Oliver's Mount for a few days. After a bit of a run around, I went down to the sheltered end of the Mere, and immediately one of the large swifts headed straight over my head. Before following the swift, I watched a pair of displaying Sparrowhawks; useful to see these dinky birds before hopefully seeing some brutes later...

Sparrowhawks displaying. In the bottom photo, you can see the female's fluffed-out white undertail coverts, similar in style to a female Goshawk.
 

I assumed the Alpine Swifts might be feeding over the water, but that wasn't the case, and after a bit I realised they were in the lee of the large trees surrounding the water- right over where I'd parked the car! I watched them cruising around on high for about ten minutes and took a few hopeful photos. I then headed off for pinier climes.

Apus melba. A delight to watch.
 

I checked out a few new spots in the forest, surrounded by a chorus of Siskins, Redpolls and Crossbills. Shortly, the loud 'kak-kak-kak' of a Goshawk echoed through the trees, making the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I came across a pile of Woodpigeon feathers on a hummock, plus a few thread-like guts. A recent Gos kill, it seemed. I spent a bit of time sitting quietly on the edge of the valley nearby; there was lots of wailing and 'kakking' from an unseen Gos in the forest below me, but nothing showed itself. Plenty of Buzzards sailed overhead, and an inquisitive Chiffchaff approached closely in a birch, seemingly curious about what I was up to. Twenty Fieldfares dropped into the larches across the valley. They'll be heading off soon. After a tranquil hour sitting in the sun, I decided to have a stroll along the forest trails. This yielded better results, with an immature Gos flushed at close range; I managed a couple of pics before it disappeared. Another flew high overhead, preceding a pair of adults, the female wheeling around for a good five minutes with three Buzzards. The light was poor and nothing came very close. Nevertheless, utterly absorbing birding as always.  


Two different Goshawks.

No comments: