Sunday 17 March 2024

Oh! For a better camera lens...

I have led three Goshawk Tours for Yorkshire Coast Nature in the last week, and the birds have been spectacular. After another wet week, yesterday dawned bright and clear - and a little bit chilly. I had high hopes, and sure enough, within ten minutes we picked up an adult male Goshawk, circling over the forest, his white underparts gleaming in the sunshine. He drifted down the valley, being replaced by his mate who was having some trouble with four second calendar-year birds. The sparring didn't seem too serious, almost playful, with some brief aerial skirmishes high above the valley. The male returned and so for a while we had six Goshawks together - pretty awesome! One young male stooped at a Woodpigeon, missing by a fraction, though it almost looked like he had the speed and accuracy to take it, but didn't bother. Very cool to see, nevertheless. We headed up the valley and the adult pair returned from the melee and showed very well, circling with a bit of relaxed display right in front of us, and at times, overhead. Of for a better camera lens! My wife's 200mm just wasn't powerful enough, otherwise I would have got some good pics. Views through the scope were fantastic! After lunch, we headed to a different part of the forest where we had a further three Gos, plus an unseen calling bird, deep in the forest. A sublime day ended with frustration, when my car wouldn't start. I sat in a cold car for 2 1/2 hours waiting for the AA to sort me out, which thankfully they did. I did see two roding Woodcock at dusk while I was waiting and a rather furtive Sparrowhawk on the hunt, which relieved my frustration.

Top two: Adult male Goshawk; third pic, immature male Gos; bottom, the adult pair together -male at the top.


No comments: