Sunday 20 October 2024

49 Stripes

Heavy rain wasn't the desired for conditions to lead a guided walk as part of Flamborough Bird Obsevatory's Migration Festival, but we gave it a go! The walk round the Outer Head started well with a showy seven-striped sprite performing at close range in the Lighthouse Bushes, to our 20 guests. 

Pallas's Warbler, Lighthouse Bushes. Pic by Dean Brookes

 

This was a lifer for many of the people on the walk, so despite the rain, there were lots of smiles. I was pleased too, of course, as a Pallas's Warbler is the quintessential October Sibe; autumn doesn't quite feel the same if I don't see one. We headed round the loop, adding a couple of six-striped Yellow-browed Warblers to the tally, plus a migrant Great Spotted Woodpecker in Old Fall hedge, and a few Song Thrushes and Blackbirds. It was rather quiet overall, probably due to the poor conditions. Towards the end of the walk, a movement at the south end of Motorway Hedge got me grilling the willows, and to my delight, out popped a Pallas's Warbler! Was this a different bird?!

 

The seven-striped sprite - pic by Dean Brookes.

Phil Galtry, my co-leader, mentioned that yesterday the Pallas's was ranging from the lighthouse all the way down the hedge, so it was likely that it was the same bird. Sure enough, back at the lighthouse and loafing birders hadn't seen the sprite there for a while, so I had to let my two bird theory go. The clients departed and the weather improved, so after a chippy lunch, I headed over to the northside to walk the Thornwick loop. The rain had killed my camera, so of course everything I saw showed well, including three more Yellow-browed Warblers and several Chiffchaffs. Best of all, a Short-eared Owl, which flew in off the sea at North Landing and was immediately intercepted by two angry and tenancious Carrion Crows, that gave the owl a very hard time. A huge flock of Pink-footed Geese kept lifting out of stubbles to the north, making a great cacophony, with a few straggling groups pealing off and heading over south. 

I still had a little time to bird, so went back to Old Fall to see if I could find Dean Brookes' Firecrest. Sadly I couldn't, but enjoyed a solitary Redwing and three more Yellow-brows in the plantation, taking my tally to 49 stripes: seven six-stripes and one seven-stripe. Not bad for a wet day that was almost a write-off. Big thanks to Dean who has let me post two of his excellent pics of the Pallas's Warbler.


No comments: