Sunday 25 February 2018

What no Glaucs?

A bitterly cold easterly made 0.5deg C feel like -5 this afternoon at Wheldrake Ings. What a great day to forget my gloves! Fortunately, the ever-prepared Duncan had a spare pair which saved me from frostbite and meant I was able to withstand the full force of the biting wind blowing straight in our faces until dusk. Andy Walker pulled the best bird out of the bag, a first winter Iceland Gull, which I am sure was the same bird I saw a few weeks ago. Stacks of Common and Black-headed gulls again, though not many large gulls, so the Iceland was a surprise. Still no Glaucous Gull, I am beginning to worry I won't get one this winter. Most of the time, all the gulls were arse-on, facing away into the east wind, so not easy to look through. Other bits; c200 Dunlins, 9 Ruff, 10 Shelduck, 1 Goldeneye.

Distant first-winter Iceland Gull out on Swantail from Tower Hide.



No comments: