Friday 20 October 2023

A Long Slog

The weather boded reasonably well on Wednesday, with the start of a spell of easterly winds. If anything, it was perhaps a little too nice, with sunny spells and no rain to drop the migrants. I put in a lot of legwork round Flamborough Head, with little to show for my efforts. There were a few flocks of Redwings, Fieldfares and Bramblings arriving, plus a few Goldcrests and Chiffchaffs in the bushes, but the strong wind made birding tricky. 

By early afternoon, I had walked 20km, fallen in a nettle-filled ditch at Whelkie Wynds for little more than a Yellowhammer, got crapped on by a Herring Gull and managed to dip the Hartendale Gutter Radde's Warbler. Twice. A 90 minute seawatch was also a bit of a let down with two Arctic Skuas, two Arctic Terns, 14 Little Gulls and several Red-throated Divers all that was on offer. A few migrants came 'in off' including a Fieldfare that landed right in front of us on the clifftop.


 I decided to have another go round Old Fall and was pleased to see a first-winter Caspian Gull loafing in the field by the road. Before reaching the plantation, a message arrived from Simon Gillings, who had found a White-billed Diver off South Landing! Panic!

I sprinted back up the Old Fall hedge, past some bemused dogwalkers, and jumped in the car. At South Landing I ran down the road to the beach, where I spotted a little huddle of birders near the tideline. Scrambling over the chalk rocks at the top of the beach, I was soon across the sand to the huddle. To my dismay, they weren't watching the diver. The sea was massive and the angle was too low. I looked up at the viewpoint at the top of the steps; this must be a better place. Off I went, back up the beach across the car park and up the steps. 

With sweat pouring and optics swinging dangerously around I approached a couple of birders with a scope. They were unaware of the WBD, but my complete coincidence, had got it in their scope and asked me what it was! I was elated and clapped these complete strangers on the back. They clearly were delighted too, and within moments I had this majestic beast in my scope. It was an adult and an absolute stunner, just moulting out of summer plumage, with some white on the chin and lower cheeks, but otherwise immaculate. It was close in, just behind the breakers and slowly paddling east, occasionally ducking through a particularly large wave. I put an update out and within a few minutes other birders joined my on the clifftop. We followed the bird east towards Booted Gulley, drinking in this fabulous moment. Well done Simon! After a while, I decided to have one last go at the Radde's - unsuccessfully - and then headed home. 

White-billed Diver. Only my second in Yorkshire, after my first back in 1991. I did catch the tail-end of one at Flamborough a couple of years ago, but not really tickable. 


No comments: