Tuesday 14 September 2010

Goodbye Norfolk, hello Yorkshire

So, after 20 months birding NE Norfolk, it is time to move on. It has been great to get to know a new patch, and to do some coastal birding. I have made a few new mates, some of whom I hope to stay in touch with.

I will take some good memories with me;
first White-fronted Geese of the winter dropping in on a misty December dawn at Buckenham, the many exhilarating Otter sightings, the huge Redwing movement in mid-October last year, finding a second Rough-legged Buzzard at Haddiscoe, nailing Ring Ouzels a few minutes walk from my house in April, Bee-eater over the garden followed by finding three Temminck's Stints the next day at Hickling in May, and the anticipation of something big on the coast this autumn, that never really came off, but was exciting nonetheless.

I will miss the flocks of Pink-feet flying over the house at dawn this winter, and being able to nip up to the coast to do some seawatching before work. The wildlife of the area is stunning and the people on the whole have been welcoming and generous with their news.

But soon I will be back in the north. We move to York on Friday and I look forward to getting back out to my old haunts in the York area and on the coast, especially the Lower Derwent Valley. I just hope Yorkshire's cracking spell continues!

No comments: