Sunday 20 May 2012

Temminck's Stints at Hes East - MEGA!

Following the report of a Temminck's Stint at Hes East yesterday, which sadly eluded everybody, I was relieved to get a message this morning to say there was now two! Shot down there, to find a happy Nige Stewart and friend leaving. They gave me good directions - thanks guys! Soon found the two birds among the grass on the edge of the scrape where last autumn I had seen a Little Stint. Typical furtive individuals sporting summer plumage, one being more heavily marked than the other, with dark spotted scapulars contrasting with the plain grey back when seen from the rear.






Last night I had look down the LDV (should have gone to Hes East!), and saw little in the way of migrants apart from two Dunlins at North Duffield. A very fine Tawny Owl was sitting on a roadside bough near Skipwith at 7.45pm and gave me a fine view as I stopped alongside. A Barn Owl at Crockey Hill was the only other bird of note.

No comments: