Sunday 3 May 2020

Lockdown Birding: Dawn Chorus Day


After a bit too much gin, my attempt to rise for Dawn Chorus Day was hampered, with a Robin singing at 04:20 my first bird of the day heard through the open window, from the comfort of bed...

Finally crawled out at 06:00 and headed to Strensall Common as it was my turn to check the YWT sheep. All 45 were present and correct. The common was alive with the sound of Willow Warblers, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs. I did a loop of the site and counted 25 singing Willow Warblers, male and female Cuckoos, three Woodlarks, three Tree Pipits, Green Woodpecker, a pair of Stonechats and two singing Garden Warblers. Two of the Woodlarks showed really well, feeding unconcernedly at close range.

 
 

A little later, one of the Woodlarks flew past me calling.


  
 
Tree Pipits were again much in evidence, singing from the tops of the birches, or in parachuting flight.


No comments: