Sunday 25 February 2024

Challenging Yank

With a bit of time to spare, I headed down to Bubwith where good numbers of birds are present due to the floodwater being a bit shallower than elsewhere in the valley. There were stacks of ducks and waders on North Duffield south ings, but the light wasn't great and a strong cold wind was blowing straight in my face. I switched my attention to the river as the male American Wigeon had been showing here on and off all week. Unfortunately, despite over a hundred Euro Wigeons milling about in the sunshine, the Yank wasn't with them. I decided to trawl through the big flock on the flooded ings, which after several chilly minutes paid dividends, when the gleaming white crown of the American Wigeon caught my attention. It was facing away and asleep, but the creamy-white head was eye-catching. After a bit, it turned side-on, which made things a bit easier and after a challenging few minutes, I managed to get another two birders on to him. 

My first view. A bit of a challenge. Can you see it?

Easier with a yellow ring round it!

Other birds of note included 222 Pochard, between here, Bubwith and Aughton Ings, several Ruff, a couple of Redshank and a few Whooper Swans.



No comments: