Thursday, 3 September 2026

Local Fall

Immersing myself in a fabulous flycatcher-fuelled fall at Flamborough was memorable, but witnessing a local fall gave me just as much pleasure. I'd spent the morning checking the remaining bits of water in the York area looking for migrant waders, but apart from two Common Sandpipers at Hes East, I had drawn a blank. Recent rain had reduced the shoreline at Castle Howard Lake massively, so I only had ducks to sort through, including 60 Teal and a couple of Tufted Ducks. A showy and vocal Cetti's Warbler on the edge of the reedbed at the north end was a treat. Hearing that yesterday's Whinchats and a female-type Redstart were still at Acaster Airfield, I headed over there, as both are good local birds. My walk along the old runways was largely uneventful although three Blackcaps gorging in an Elder bush demanded my attention, in case a Barred Warbler was sharing the feast - sadly, it wasn't!

Approaching the middle of the airfield, I bumped into Rob and Jane Chapman and we began to scan the stubble for the little gang of Wheatears and Whinchats. Unfortunately, the rather ominous-looking black cloud that I had been keeping one eye on, decided to dump its load at that moment, right on top of us. I had spied a Wheatear distantly, but told Rob and Jane the rain was about to get very heavy, so we legged it across the airfield and under the nearest tree. We were pretty sodden, but were glad of our makeshift shelter, as the heavens opened and it poured down. The shower past, and we tentatively made our way back out and down to the stubble field to recommence our scan. Shortly, I picked up a Whinchat and Jane found a second, among three young Wheatears. Cool! Despite seeing several the other day, it is always good to get a York year tick, and Whinchat was one such species. 

Whinchat in the stubble
 

On a tight schedule, I said farewell to Rob and Jane and scooted back across the soggy fields. Three more Wheatears were in another field and a flock of 15 Meadow Pipits sat on the runway, seemingly grounded by the downpour. More was to come with several Willow Warblers in the hedge, and a Lesser Whitethroat calling from the tangle. Had these birds also just dropped in? I got to the cow paddock, which always looks good for a migrant or two, and immediately spied a pale blob on the side of a bush. Was this the female Redstart? No, a Spotted Flycatcher, the first one I've ever seen here! A movement close by and a momentary flash of fire, and I had my scope on a male Redstart watching me from a hawthorn. Cool as! There had clearly been a little fall, presumably caused by the epic rain shower. Even though it felt like there would be more birds here, it was time to head back as my daughter needed the car. This was fairly minor compared with Flamborough the other day, but for a random, inland location, this was spectacular. It is all about the context!



 Top - Redstart, bottom, Spotted Flycatcher and a Willow Warbler 

No comments: