Friday 20 March 2020

Nature Cure

Troubling times we find ourselves in. My escape, nature, is always there for me and today was no exception. It gave me width to reflect; not just on the Coronavirus chaos, but on my lovely colleague Don Vine, who suddenly died this week. A massive tragedy. He will be greatly missed by a huge number of people. I remember dancing with him in the wee hours to The Clash in some grimy nightclub in Leeds a couple of years ago. We talked endlessly that night and some since, about great and lousy bands we'd both seen over the years. Another big love was rivers and wetlands. He would have liked the walk I had down the Derwent at Wheldrake Ings. Bye Don.

Wheldrake Ings had spring coursing through it's veins. A trio of dapper Garganey ventured out briefly from the reedy edge of Swantail Ings. The male stopping long enough to be phonescoped. Over 100 Black-tailed Godwits were sleeping on the refuge, a good number for here. Overhead three groups of Fieldfares headed into the east wind, Scandinavia-bound. Our winter has been kind on them this year.


No comments: